November 27, 2012

Holy Land: ‘Ali-Kuli Khan and Florence meet ‘Abdu'l-Bahá

He embraced me and kissed me on the cheeks. He also most warmly welcomed my wife, and took Rahim [our one year old son] from my arms. He then sat on the sofa holding Rahim on His lap, and while He gave the Baby His rosary to play with, He lovingly inquired after our health, and asked if we had had a good journey. Then looking at me, my wife and the Baby, He said to me while smiling, "O Khan! This is the sign of blessing and increase; you went to America one and returned three." These words we took to mean that He blessed our conjugal family life with unity and harmony, and that He bespoke for us Divine bounty and increase. He asked for the Baby's age and I answered that he was one year and four days old. Turning to my wife He said in part, while showing her great kindness and favor: "Welcome! Welcome! Marhaba! Praise be to God, that as a result of the Revelation of Al-Abha, the East and the West have embraced each other like unto two beloved ones. You are the first American bride to be united to a Baha'i from Persia. Praise God, for this great favor."

Before being seated, and while I had the Baby in my arms, 'Abdu'l-Baha looked at Rahim with His glorious face illuminated with joy, and He said in part: "This is the fruit of the union between the East and the West." Turning to my wife, He said: "I see that you love Rahim Khan very much." Upon other occasions during our visit 'Abdu'l-Baha often said: "As Rahim Khan is the first fruit of the union of the East and West, whoever looks upon his face loves him." 
- ‘Ali-Kuli Khan  (His 1906 Pilgrim Notes)